“In healthcare or not, this is our life. This is our choice. This is our journey. We need to be accountable for what we do, we need to be proud of what we do, and we need to take responsibility. Be proactive in the life that we want to live and in the things that we want to offer to others.” – Dr. Miriam Zylberglait
Hello! Welcome to the Aging Pearls Podcast, where we’re dedicated to providing dental pearls for all those concerned with the oral care needs of our aging population. I am Dr. Christie Hogue and here with us today to share inspiring insights about self-care is Dr. Miriam Zylberglait or Dr. Z. Dr. Z is in the process of publishing her first book, “The 3G Cycle of Life”, which focuses on the topics of well-being, burnout prevention, and growth.
To care for others, we must care for ourselves first. This is what Dr. Z believes in and, in this episode, she discusses ways how medical professionals can embrace well-being and be more empowered in their daily lives. She also goes beyond medical professionals and encourages each of us to be proactive, seek growth, and take control of our life’s journey.
Dr. Z is triple Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, and Obesity Medicine with extensive clinical experience. She completed her medical education and Geriatric Fellowship in Peru and provided patient care for over 10 years at the Naval Geriatric Center. She moved to the US in 2011 where she completed her training in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. She also completed a fellowship in Leadership Education and Development with the AAMC, a certification as a Mental Health Ally, and a Physician Wellness Advocate. For her dedication, she was selected as a member of the Wellness and Professional fulfillment National Committee of the American College of Physicians. In addition, she received the Award of Mentor of the Year from the AAMC in 2022.
[00:01 – 04:38] Physicians in Crisis
- Dr. Z on why she became a wellness advocate
- Physicians are very good at prioritizing others but not themselves
- Mistaking self-care for selfishness
- This leads to burnout and depression
- How COVID pushed medical professionals to the edge
[04:39 – 08:37] Everyday Strategies for Self-Care
- Assume that well-being is an obligation and as important as any other job
- If it’s in the calendar, it’s reality
- Be smart in merging activities
- Find moments to breathe and do self-affirmations while doing simple tasks
[08:38 – 19:48] Navigating the Cycle of Life
- Dr. Z talks about the story behind her book
- Writing not only for fellow physicians but also for people from all walks of life
- Celebrating positive catalysts and overcoming negative catalysts
- It’s time to stop the victim mentality and start taking action
- Don’t be afraid of making mistakes
- Seeing the beauty in difference
- Life is too short; we need to show our authentic selves and live our truth
- Resilience vs. growth
- Why growth is more significant to get to the next level
[19:49 – 23:23] Final Thoughts
- Dr. Z’s message to the community
- Connect with Dr. Christie Hogue – leave a review and comment (links below)
“People should not die doing what they love to do and helping others.” – Dr. Miriam Zylberglait
“Now you are making an appointment with yourself. You are making an appointment with your well-being. You are now believing that you are a priority.” – Dr. Miriam Zylberglait
“Be happy to be weird. Be happy to be different. Be happy to have an opinion. Forget about feeling so ashamed for who you are or how you think.” – Dr. Miriam Zylberglait
“Only those that try something new will make mistakes. So making mistakes really shows that you are trying.” – Dr. Miriam Zylberglait
Connect with Me!
You can connect with me on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and visit my website https://www.mouthmirrorsllc.com/ to learn more.
LEAVE A REVIEW + And share this podcast with someone who wants awareness of the oral and systemic health of our aging population! Click here to listen to our previous episodes.
Don’t forget to subscribe and leave a 5-star review!